“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then He is not omnipotent.
Is He able but not willing?
Then He is malevolent.
Is He both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is He neither able nor willing?
Then why call Him God?”
Please bear with me for a little history. A few hundred years before the birth of Christ, famous Greek philosopher Epicurus proposed this series of questions and answers which has been often repeated. If God is all powerful and all loving, why does evil exist?
To: My Wife
I am deeply grateful to you and to God for the privilege and honor of being your husband.
- To love you with all of the patience, mercy, and determination that is found in Christ’s love for us. This is the first and greatest pledge and encompasses all others.
- To work diligently to provide sufficient income and resources to provide for the security of our family freeing you to maintain our home, follow charitable pursuits, or participate in whatever career you wish without concern for specific income requirements.
- To be your constant strong advocate and support for all worthy pursuits and through every trial and triumph you encounter.
- To strive constantly to become ever more a man of God so I may lead our family according to His design, so we can train our children to be reflections of Him, and so we can serve our community in a way to bring honor to Him.
- To bathe our family in prayer for God’s protection, guidance, and blessing.
- To speak of you only with positive and complimentary language. I will not disparage you through my words or actions.
- To desire nothing more than you with the exception of a life lived fully devoted to God.
I recognize I am not God, and am not capable of fully living up to this pledge. Therefore, I must make some requests.
I Request You:
- Hold me accountable to this pledge and not allow me to make any excuse when I fail.
- Step in and lead our family when I am incapable of doing so either through illness or sin.
- Remember my failures are not due to lack of love for you but weakness in me.
- Find your value in God’s perfect love because he will not fail.
- Continue to pray for me.
I have a good friend who is half way through seminary with plans to become a chaplain but just learned that his denomination will not ordain him due to a divorce. He asked me for my opinion whether or not a divorce should prohibit a man from pursuing pastorship and wondered if Paul meant something else. I am assuming that my friend was referring to 1 Timothy 3:2 and Titus 1:6 where he says that leaders in the church should be the husband of one wife. (more…)
Everyone has their list of people they can’t wait to meet when they get to Heaven. Paul, Peter, David of course. Loved ones who have passed away. And I know we all can’t wait to finally meet Alice Cooper (Vincent isn’t there yet, but I have a better chance of meeting him in heaven than I do down here). But I’m really looking forward to sitting down and talking with King Nebuchadnezzar. (more…)
Why Not Me
I’ve heard different speakers during their call to action transition from “Who will do this” to “Why not you”. The problem with that is I can think of 30 reasons not to do just about anything- even if I know it REALLY needs to be done. Instead of asking “Why not me”, ask “What will this cost”. You can then decide if it’s worth the sacrifice. By approaching problems from the perspective that you CAN fix them, you will be in a better position to prioritize. You’ll get a lot more done, and more important stuff as well.
My Problems with Pornography
I’m a guy. There’s something about that XY chromosome pair that causes us to draw tremendous amounts of our sexual satisfaction through our eyes. We are all to some degree genetically predisposed to struggle with pornography. And with the wide acceptance of pornography in our society, we are hard pressed to find any man who does not display some attributes of pornography addiction. (more…)
v21-23 – “Therefore this is what the LORD says about the men of Anathoth who are seeking your life and saying, ‘do not prophesy in the name of ht LORD or you will die by our hands’ — therefore this is what the LORD Almighty says: ‘I will punish them. Their young men will die by the sword, their sons and daughters by famine. Not even a remnant will be left to them, because I will bring disaster on the men of Anathoth in the year of their punishment.'” (more…)